Saturday, September 19, 2009

DIY phenomenon

I'm sure you all know about the do it yourself TV shows/series/guides were some person teaches the majority how do get stuff done for free, without paying some overall wearing guy to do really simple work. Man I like these do it yourself thingies, you can get really good hints from watching them, the best part is that you can get everything done by watching DIY videos.
I started watching diy origami videos ( I had a period when I had to impress my girlfriend and I tried my best to get a really nice origami flower bouquet and eventually I had to buy real flowers because I couldn't resist more paper cuts between my fingers ... but this is another story ) it continued with diy awesome food, you can get simple and uber complicated things done by watching these guides for instance I've seen diy hearth surgery, diy intercontinental ballistic missile, diy methamphetamine, diy moonshine and the list can continue but I only tried the ones I mentioned.
So I really feel like a two time genius when I do stuff myself and it works.
My father is biggest diy fan, he does everything himself but I tell you it's hell to work with him, he is such a difficult person to work with I prefer to work alone and even if I put some nails in wood or dig a hole he has to act like a bitch and make me read the users manual for the hammer or the God damn shovel. Luckily we don't work so often together but today instead of waking up at 10 I had to help him repair the roof on our garage so we started at 8 am, just the thought of working with him next day kept me awake all night. So while having breakfast he already started to get dressed, he put on some shorts and an T-shirt and I asked him how come he wont wear his SS officer uniform and of course he got pissed of. There we were on the roof, we removed the old tiles, we got rid of some rotten wood he already got tired and began to lose his temper, he started to pick on me or corrected my work for no reason, while revealing his master plan by using his hands to indicate positions on the roof I moved my arms and he got really angry because I'm imitating his gestures and for the next 10 minutes I laughed like insane ... how can somebody be so paranoid ?
After we removed the old roof he started measuring and measuring and measuring we only had to lay 4 wooden beams with equal distance between each other on a 4 meter wide roof and give them a small slope so the water will drain, we worked 9 hours just to to mount the 4 beams, he told me he will lay the tiles on Monday and that he will be done before I come from work. I don't believe him !
He is really rigorous in everything what he does, he is a retired engineer and likes to use space craft standards in whatever he is building, the roof will be bomb proof that's for sure but it's not worth to get everything to the millimeter the roof will stand just fine it will last the same period of time and will do his job even if it doesn't have a perfect symmetry. Well he is my beloved father and his way to get stuff done, can't blame him.

OK tomorrow is Sunday and on Sunday even the divinity takes a day off ... so no awesome stories on Sunday

Have a great weekend !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment